Friday, August 14, 2009

Health Care and Self-Employed Taxes

Recently, I came across this Business Week article ("The New EntrepreneurThe Self-Employment Tax: Into the Swamp") that talked about how the current health-care reform bills would impact self-employed workers who purchase health care. While I am covered under my husband's employer-provided plan, it was enlightening to read about the percentage the self-employed are taxed on healthcare premiums.

The article is also a very lucid description of how the self-employed (those who receive 1099 forms as contract workers) pay taxes. I highly recommend reading it--it certainly opened my eyes to exactly how my taxes are figured out and at what rate they are paid.

Check it out at http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/running_small_business/archives/2009/08/the_self-employ.html.

No comments:

 
Content Sarah Hamaker
Photo of Sarah, Copyright Donna Hamaker
Site by Eagle Enterprises