Thursday, May 10, 2012

Work-From-Home Job Spotlight: Grant Writer


Each Thursday, I’m highlighting a work-from-home job or business.

Job Description: A grant writer assists an institution, such as a corporation, foundation, government department or trust in writing and assembling grant applications.

Education: A bachelor’s degree is required.

Skills: The ability to research grant opportunities, write proposals, review applications and develop a business plan are needed in this field.

Job outlook: No hard figures are available for this specialized field, but with experience and contacts in the nonprofit world, grant writers should have a fairly rosy future.

Possible employers: Check with local nonprofit organizations and foundations to inquire about possible grant writing work.

Preparation: Join the American Grant Writers’ Association for training and networking opportunities.

Get your foot in the door: Stop by civic and city/count business events to network with possible clients. Make a list of local nonprofits and foundations or trusts that you could ask about grant writing opportunities.

Testimony: Melissa of Harrisonburg, Va., transitioned her previous job into an at-home work opportunity. She now works around 20 hours per week writing grants and other communications pieces for a children’s organization. “I’m generally able to fit work into my schedule unless I have a pressing deadline,” she says. “It’s a challenge with self-discipline, because I’m not particularly good at that. Every day I struggle with time for family and time for work—working from home is one more thing to fit in at home with all the distractions of the housework, kids and husband,” she admits. “Right now, this arrangement is working for me and my family, and I’m happy that I can work from home.”

Until next time,
Sarah

No comments:

 
Content Sarah Hamaker
Photo of Sarah, Copyright Donna Hamaker
Site by Eagle Enterprises