Thursday, August 2, 2012

Work-From-Home Job Spotlight: Genealogy Researcher


Each Thursday, I’m highlighting a work-from-home job or business.

Job Description: A genealogy researcher helps people find their ancestors.

Education: None necessary, but a background in history is a plus.

Skills: The knowledge and ability to find records and other historical documents relating to personal heritage and genealogy.

Job outlook: U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) finds that “Employment of historians is expected to grow 18 percent from 2010 to 2020, about as fast as the average for all occupations.” Check out the BLS Occupational Outlook Handbook for more details.

Possible employers: Check out the National Genealogical Society, the Association for Professional Genealogists and Genealogy Research Associates for leads. Consider starting your own consulting business or joining with other genealogists.

Preparation: Join the National Genealogical Society or the Association for Professional Genealogists. Take genealogy research courses from the above-mentioned organizations.

Get your foot in the door: Start with your family or friends and offer to do a family tree for a reduced price or as a gift to gain expertise and recommendations.

Testimony: Ashley offers genealogy research assistance through the website FIVERR. “I help people start their family trees going back four generations from their grandparents,” she says, adding that she has had more than 300 clients so far. “I have been a researcher for over 25 years now. … Most folks cannot afford the price for an Ancestry membership or to hire a professional genealogist. I offer the service for the working man and I love what I am doing.” She backs up her research through U.S. Census reports, military documents and other historical data.

“I don’t know if this will ever grow to a revenue that would support the household finances. However, the revenue I generate does supplement and make things easier at the end of the month,” says Ashley. “I encourage you to think outside the box, find your passion and market that passion. I love genealogy and I love the fact that I am able to help someone discover who they are and where they come from.”

Until next time,

Sarah

No comments:

 
Content Sarah Hamaker
Photo of Sarah, Copyright Donna Hamaker
Site by Eagle Enterprises